WTC 2016 Battle reports

Steam-punk fantasy 'skirmish' igra z 28 mm modeli in večjimi roboti / zvermi namesto tankov :)

Moderators: Krokz, Baffo

Baffo

WTC 2016 Battle reports

Post by Baffo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:31 pm

So, with this year's WTC behind us, let us make a little re-cap of our games and experiences at the event.

Speaking for myself, I had a great time:)
The venue was kinda amazing: we had a cottage with deck/balcony facing a large pond with Ducks and other wildlife, there was a Supermarket, Aqua park and several bars and restaurants in the resort itself and we were 45-60 minutes drive from Amsterdam. If they host any other event there, I would go back there (just remember to bring your own Towels and toiletries, since they're not freely provided as you might expect from normal hotels:)

Anyway, let us go over the games now:

Round 1 (Vs Australia Echidna):
- We dropped JS first as planned and with him managed to fish out Tom Guan's Circle (since he was the most well known and scary player to most of us); after that we 'counter-offered up' myself and Weef's Trolls, they picked Weef Vs their minion (Colin Hill) and gave me a choice between Khador and Ret (I think, my memory is a bit foggy) and I picked their Khador player - Chris Davies (bringing Strakhov and Irusk2), because neither Stan or Max wanted to face him... Scenario was Incursion (3 flags) I dropped Butcher3 and he went for Strakhov; he won the roll off and went first.
- For the first 2 rounds he just postured around the flags spreading his jacks wide and staying out of my charge ranges, while lobbing Behemoth and riflecorps shots at me. I made a push for scenario (Ruin and my Jugger on my left flank, keeping busy a Marauder and Juggernaut), both Devastators holding the middle flag, while Butcher, the Kodiak and the snipers held the right flank. I scored 2 CPs at the end of round2, he focused on scrapping my left flank and contesting the other flags, but he didn't score himself, so I used Bulldoze pushes from Devastators and the Butcher to clear off the middle and right flag and scored 2 more CPs. At that point the opponent went into the think tank (I had around 26 minutes left, while he had 15) and after considering it for 8-9 minutes he figured out a way to slam the Kodiak into the Butcher camping 6 focus, shot him a bit with Rockets and charged him with Behemoth and managed to kill me on his last bought attack.
GG

Round 2 (Vs Epic Greece):
- I ended up paired Vs their CoC player (Giannis Agoras) whom was bringing Lucant and Aurora. I expected him to play Lucant, so I could not drop pVlad into it and went again with Butcher. The scenario was Recon and I went first (I think he won the roll and picked to go second).
- Similarly to the previous game, we both postured just outside each other's threat ranges for the first round, then he started spraying me with his 2 battle engines (putting all his bots into extra damage dice, rolling Pow 11 + 5D6 damage) and dropping Ruin and the Kodiak to 2/3rd health and popping the feat while toeing-in the zone with the TEPs and jacks. Since I couldn't just move back from the scenario zones or he could score to victory by dominating I went for an assassination run. He had Watcher on Lucant and 2 Inverters, I first needed to make him use the watcher Knock down counter attack befor I sent in Butcher. To bait it out I first charged with the Kodiak from the right flank, pretending to forget that he would trigger watcher if I ended within 6'' of lucant) and he took it, knocking my jack down. Next I run a Devastaotor in the wedge between his jacks to push them appart and allow Butcher to charge far enough in between them to engage all 3 at the same time and be in range to Drag in Lucant (camping 3-4 focus). In short Butcher managed to scrap all 3 jacks with his initial stack of focus, popped his feat and Impending doomed Lucant in, rolled a bit under average and left him on 9 Hp. I left enough space for Ruin to also charge in and try finishing him off, but I did not roll enough damage to close the deal, so next turn his 2 battleengines put 1 bot into +1 die to hit and the rest in damage again and Butcher fell to 4 3x dice to hit and 4 dice damage sprays.
GG
In retrospect, a better play might have been to just run in both Devastators to be roadblocks/contesters for the enemy jacks, while sending in fully loaded Ruin and Kodiak on his Battle engines and hopefully scrap them, while leaving Butcher back camping a couple focus and wait the feat out, while he has to chew trough 4 Khador jacks and try to kill him next turn. Eh, hindsight:)

Round 3 (Vs Nederlands Vermeer):
- I paired up with their Retribution player (Marc de Ruiter) bringing Vyross2 and Issyria and dropped Vlad1 to his Vyross. The scenario was Outlast (2 circular zones).
- I went first, sending my Behemoth toward the right zone opposing 1 manticore and grifon, my riflecorps were facing off his Sentinels in the middle and my colossal was facing down the rest of his jacks on the left flank. He mini-feated with the sentinels and ran forth, he set up both Manticores to my right, putting down 2 covering fire wall templates blocking in my infantry. I Cast Boundless charge on Behemoth, gave it 1 extra focus and cast S&P. Behe then charged the manticore in the right zone, but missed his first 2 attacks (needing 5 under signs and portents) and leaving it alive on half health (which tilted me a bit, since if I managed to kill it I would have scored the zone and he would not have been able to scrap the Behe with just 1 Manticore and 1 grifon left on that flank). I used Ayanna's Harm, Holts shots, the Riflecorps and some Conquest secondary blasts to kill most of the Sentinels (leaving 3-4 + banner) and managed to scrap a grifon in the left zone (but Conquest did not reach the zone to contest, so I had to run in the mechanics so he would not score on my turn). In his next turn my opponent buffed his healty manticore and with some help from the half dead manticore and synergy they barely scrapped Behe, while a grifon killed off some solos I sent in that zone to contest after Behe failed the previous turn and then went there to dominate with Vyross. In the middle the surviving Sentinels charged my infantry to kill a few and engage the rest, while on the left side Imperatus went to the edge of the zone to contest it from me. At that point my right flank had been removed. Ayanna Harmed Imperatus and between the riflecorps CRAs and rockets I managed to damge Imperatus enough to trigger its Phoenix protocol, but i could not get in enough extra damage to scrap it completely again. Conquest with feat charged into the manticores scrapping them, but in the heat of executing the steps of the grind play I forgot to use the Zephir 3'' move on Ayanna to step into the zone Vyross was dominating to contest it, so at the end of my turn he scored 2 more CPs getting him to 4. during his turn he tried to kill as much of my stuff as possible to get more points for tiebreakers and when he ended his turn he scored the last needed CPs to win on scenario.
GG
In this game I feel my forgetting to send in Ayanna to contest and give me 1 more turn to maybe try and assassinate vyros before he wins on scenario, was my most crucial mistake; granted even if I did that he could had cleared out the left zone and scored potentially 3 control points to win anyway, but at least that would have given me 1 more chance to stretch the game out... Lessons learned:)

Ok, I'll stop for now, since I have some things to do, but I'll try to write up the other 3 rounds sometime this evening.
Cheers!

wizard

Re: WTC 2016 Battle reports

Post by wizard » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Hja, prvi dan ste imeli malo smole, predvsem to, da ste dobili zmagovalce turnirja. Ampak po drugi strani je pa to nekaj najboljšega, kar se ti lahko zgodi. Igraš proti vrhunskim igralcem, ki po vrhu vsega še z druge strani oble. In takih priložnosti dobiš zelo malo. Samih iger ne morem komentirat, ker ne poznam vojsk, ampak kot si sam napisal, nekaj napak in malo smole s kockami, pa ne gre najbolje. Ampak sej drugi dan ste pa zmagali 2 igri, kar je čisto OK za prvo udeležbo na WTC-ju. Predvsem pa nihče od vas ni imel prav veliko izkušenj s teamskimi turnirji, če sem prav razumel, tako da bo drugo leto veliko bolje. V končni fazi je paring najbolj pomemben, ker rabiš zmagat 3 od 5 iger za zmago. Pa WTC je čist drugačen turnir od večine ostalih turnirjev, veliko res dobrih igralcev, drugačen sitem paringa in res nabrite vojske. Za državo, v kateri je cca 10 aktivnih igralcev, ste se več kot solidno odrezali. ;) Drugo leto pa kakšnega "cheezerja" vključit, ki ima kakšno vojsko, ki vam je manjkala (recimo kakšnega, ki ima Trole, Retribution in Minione, da ne bom s prstom kazal :) ), pa bo bolje.

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:39 pm

A nisi pozabil omenit še Mercenarije v spisku? (assuming we're thinking of the same person)

Anyway, continuing with the BRs...

Day 2 games:

Round 4 (Vs Czech rep. White):
- Me and our Trolls were left at the end of the pairing process so the opponents could pick both match-ups of our players Vs their Troll and Circle players. The Troll player was Vojta (whom I played against back in August at the Austrian masters) and he decided he didn't want to face my Butcher3 so they stuck me against Wurmwood/Krueger2... Predictably we dropped Butcher3 Vs Wurmwood, the scenario was Outlast and I won the roll off and picked to have first turn.
- On my turn I spread out my jack line and snipers to hopefully see around his forest wall, while threatening both flags. He in his turn carefully advanced using the forest wall from a forest on the table, his spell and a sentry stone's forest to hide 2 of his warpwolves on my right side, while Ghetorix and the Reeves postured around the flag to my left. On my turn I noticed his Sentry stone was within charge range/LoS of Ruin and the Stalker was right behind it, so a fully loaded Ruin with Silence of death charged in, killed the stone with his charge fist attack and made 4 more Mat 8 P+S 20 attacks on the stalker, missing twice (which annoyed me) leaving the beast on 8 health. On the other flak I trampled the Kodiak into a clump of Dug-in Reeves to fry them with a Vent steam AoE and contest his flag, while Butcher moved up to dominate my own flag, using the Devastators as road blocks. In response he focused both warpwolves into scrapping Ruin, Gheto scrapped the Kodiak and he shifted the rest of his force toward my left flank, popped his feat and cast Strangle hold on the Juggernaut that could have charged Ghetorix next turn, but didn't score the flag. So, I advanced the Jugger just enough to contest his flag, charged a Devastator into the 2 Warpwolves on my side, pushed them further from my flag, did some damage, but didn't kill them either. After his turn he Primaled Gheto to scrap the Juggernaut on his side, de-buffed my 'open' Devastator and scrapped that with the 2 wounded warpwolves, and shifted assorted Shifting stones and solos in the charge line between Butcher and his beasts. On my turn I ran the remaining Devastator around to Bulldoze some of the models out of the way, used my snipers to kill off the unmovable Shifting stones and Butcher charged in, killed off both beasts, Cassius and some other grunts, popped my feat to go back to full camp and passed the turn. Ghetorix auto-frenzied due to Primal and smashed a Widowmaker grunt I ran into him, leaving my opponent only Wurmwood, 3 Reeves and 1 set of stones to play the turn... He cast Strangle hold on Butcher himself and got the stones to shift him further back. Since I could not charge or run, I just moved toward Ghetorix and butchered him and ran my last Devastator to contest his flag, he tried the Strangle hold assassination, but did not even get beneath half health with it, so next turn I vengeance moved, advanced (forfeiting his normal combat action) and used Flashing blade attacks to finally kill the bloody tree. At this point I had another 3-4 minutes on my deathclock, so I wasn't really paying much attention to the scenario play (to notice he Kill boxed himself when moving away from Butcher and that I could have probably won with a more assured scenario play).
GG, first win for me and coincidentally JS and Weef won their own games getting us our first Team win.

Round 5 (Vs Wales Crafanc):
- On this round I think I had a choice of playing their Troll player or something else, but since nobody else of our remaining players really wanted to face Madrak2 I bit the bullet and took him up. Again predictably, I dropped Butcher3 Vs his Madrak2. The scenario was Extraction and I won the roll off and picked to go first. In the first turn I just ran forward as far as possible and got all my snipers in position to threaten his Fennblades anywhere they advanced to. He decided to just run forward with his Fennblades on my right flank, his Battlegroup+Warders down the middle-my left. I used all my shooting models and a charging Kodiak to kill off 8 Fennblades (including the Command attachment), while getting my jack line past the mid-line of the table, staying out of his charge range, but mistakenly advanced the Juggernaut too far from Orin Midwinter, so next turn Lanyssa Huntersmarked the Jugger on my left flank and charged him with 2 Blood furied Warders (doing 20-ish damage, but disabling only his movement) and ran a third one to jam the other jacks, while moving Madrak and the rest of his army more to my left. The Fennblades charged into the snipers on my right, but hit only one. On my turn the Juggernaut killed off the 2 Warders that charged him, giving 2 souls to Ruin, so then Ruin charged into his Mauler, leaving him on 5-6 health, while my snipers+Alten sniped off the Earthborn's Spirit away and Butcher sat on the flag to dominate it while the rest of my jack line moves in the way of his charge lines. On his turn he first tries to put Hunter's mark on a model near Butcher, but Ruin is within 3'' of the target and negates the spell, then his Mulg charges Ruin but rolls badly and does only 1/2 damage, then the Mauler tries to Rage himself, but is close enough to Ruin for him to negate the animus with his last soul, so he has to wail on Ruin without buffs, leaving him still active, so he finally has to advance his Erathborn and hope his initials without any boosts will be enough to finish the job (he finally managed to kill my Ruin with 3 of his heavies). I could not reach Madrak with Butcher, so I focused on killing off his clumped up heavies and objective, while using my leftover snipers to remove his Kriel stone, while my other jacks just kept advancing toward Madrak to be obstacles in his charge lines toward butcher. the last few turns blur together in my memory, but I think that I eventually forced him to try and contest my scenario play and eventually I killed him when he had nothing else (or maybe I won on scenario - not sure really).
GG
Unfortunately we ultimately lost this round 2 - 3.

Round 6 (Vs Czech rep. Red):
- Similarly to the previous round, here I had the choice and ended up picking their PoM player (since my pVlad is theoretically teched Vs menoth and it removed him from the table for the last 2 match-ups that the opponents would choose). I dropped my Vlad1 (obviously) and he took Kreoss1 (as expected). The scenario was Entrenched and I after winning the dice-off I chose to go first. I deploy my Behemoth on my right flank, Vllad and Conquest centrally and Riflecorps opposite to his zone and he counter deploys his Idrians and Artillery crews on my right flank (preying the Conquest) and his entire battlegroup on my left. The first round we both advance carefully, staying out of each other's gun ranges, with my Conquest running diagonally toward his zone and distancing itself from the Idrians, while the riflecorps advance toward the 'extreme left flank' to distance themselves from the enemy artillery. He advances his battlegroup in a brick toward his own zone, while the Idrians (with Defender's ward) run toward my zone using their mini-feat to dig in. In response I advance Behemoth to toe in the zone, thry scattering his AoEs on the enemy artillery, but doesn't hit them (the idrians are immune), the Conquest keeps his steady advance toward his zone (I forget to give it magical attacks before trying to shoot his clump of jacks with the main gun hoping for crits, so instead I try shooting the idrians, failing to hit) and then places 2 Creeping barrage templates in front of the Idrians so they can't charge the Behemoth or my objective without suffering pow 10 blast damage (and thy don't have the mini feat anymore). Since I didn't give magical weapons to my jacks I gave it to the riflecorps, Joe gave them Boosted attack rolls (since with Kreoss' feat Tought would be pointless) and the rockets and a couple bigger CRAs put 18-ish damage on the closest Reckoner and about 12-ish damage on the redeemer in the zone (disabling his gun arm). In response pKreoss gets into his zone (his objective is Fuel cache, so the caster is hidden behind the cloud), uses his feat to KD 2/3rds of my riflecorps and then proceeds to use his redeemers to clear them off, while advancing his reckoners and the other redeemer in the zone to block any charge lines to his caster. On my right flank the idrians advance, CRA into the objective and reform to toe into the zone and contest. his artillery finishes off my objective and ends the turn on 2 CPs. On my turn Vlad fully loads his jacks, casts S&P, pops feat and charges an Idrian in my own zone, kills him and casts Wind wall with Blood boon. The conquest charges into his zone engaging the Reckoner, the undamaged redeemer and the objective. The charge and 1 additional attack scrap the Reckoner, 2 hits scrap the Redeemer and the last bought attack one shots the objective. The Behemoth advances close to the Idrians and kills 5-6 of them with his bombards), while the 3-4 remaining Riflecorps pick off one of Rhoven's bodyguards. Next turn he tries to scatter a couple of artillery shots on Vlad but scatters off, the 3 remaining idrians spread around the zone to be abnoxious, while his remaining Reckoner and Rhoven's bodyguard put about 24-ish damage on Conquest. Next turn Vlad goes for the same play (load up jacks, S&P and kill 1 idrian to cast Wind wall), the Conquest simply kills off the last Reckoner and the bodyguard and looks menacingly at Kreoss. Behemoth clears off the last 2 Idrians, finishes off the crippled Redeemer with his last bombard shot and I score a point in my zone (so now we're 2 Cp vs 2 CP). Kreoss casts Defender's ward on himself and moves to the furthest corner of the zone. His artillery crews try again to scatter blasts on Vlad to set him on fire. I go to 3 CPs. Ultimately I run a Riflecorp grunt in b2b with Kreoss move Conquest up to align with my grunt and to have Kreoss in melee reach, Smites the riflecorp in the back to auto KD Kreoss (doing a pow 19 Collateral damage roll on him first) and then buying 2 extra auto hitting p+s 23 punches with S&P, literally pounding him into the ground (if needed the Behemoth was ready to shoot him twice with bombards.
GG
This round everybody (except our Cygnar player who got assassinated really early in the round) pulled trough with a win, so we ended the day with a 4 - 1 win and an overall score of 2 - 4 team wins... Not great, but passable, considering our rag-tag team composition.

That is it for Battle reports:)
Cheers!

wizard

Post by wizard » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Jan, hvala za reporte.

Kakšna se ti je pa drugače zdela sestava vojsk? A si imel občutek, da je to nekaj, kar bo obstalo v tej ediciji ali je bila to bolj prva reakcija ob novi ediciji in ETC-ju? Če vojske nasprotnikov primerjaš s tem, česar si navajen, a bi rekel, da je to nekaj, proti čemur imaš normalne šanse za zmago ali je to nekaj, kar je en nivo višje in bo pač novi standard (glede na to, da po vsakem ECT-ju/WTC-ju pride do porasta copy-paste vojsk)? Kaj pa teren? V tej ediciji bi moralo biti več kosov terena, jaz sem večinoma videl po 6 kosov. A je to zato, ker pač za turnir velikosti WTC ni bilo mogoče dobiti toliko terena ali pač stare navade?

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:38 am

Ok, bom se lotil vsakega vprašanja posebej:
Kakšna se ti je pa drugače zdela sestava vojsk? A si imel občutek, da je to nekaj, kar bo obstalo v tej ediciji ali je bila to bolj prva reakcija ob novi ediciji in ETC-ju?
Bi rekel da so bile prisotne vojske po celem spektru: so bili teami tam, ki so manj competitive od nas (min-maxed optimized lists), ki so prinesli liste ki bi jim naši 'hardcore' igralci spremenili vsaj 15-20 pik ali casterja all-together. Na drugemu extremu so bile krepko bolj refinirane/maximizirane liste od igralcev ki so imeli veliko število 'practice game-ov' in so po-tunali liste na 85-90% polish (skoraj dosegli neko hipotetično optimalno 'net-deck' listo). Glede taga da vsi so imeli le slabe 3 mesece za se naučit novo edicijo in ni bilo kaj dosti večjih turnirjev bi še vedno rekel da 80% list iz WTCja so le 'prva reakcija' na novo edicijo, ampak do naslednjega poletja pomoje mednarodni meta-game se bo stabiliziral in folk bo igral povprečno en heavy manj kot zdej in eno enoto infantrya ali nekaj solotov več (which in turn will open up anti-infatry options and infantry casters). Pač še vedno bodo določene fakcije in theme liste ki bojo imele neke extremne skew-e, ampak 'balanced liste' bojo imele malo več infantrija kot zdej.
Če vojske nasprotnikov primerjaš s tem, česar si navajen, a bi rekel, da je to nekaj, proti čemur imaš normalne šanse za zmago ali je to nekaj, kar je en nivo višje in bo pač novi standard (glede na to, da po vsakem ECT-ju/WTC-ju pride do porasta copy-paste vojsk)?
Ta boljše liste ki sem videl (za fakcije proti katerim imam priliko igrat pri nas) so bile na 'našem nivoju'; na primer v dveh ali celo treh rundah se spomnem da Weef in Stan sta oba bila samozavestna proti nasprotnim Legion playerjem, ker sta oba igrala skoraj identične liste proti Poyotu. Troll liste so bile zelo podobne unemu kar Weef pa Blaž igrata. Bolj pogosto kakor ne, so se mi zdele nasprotnikove liste, slabše od unih ki jih lokalno vidimo (Doomshaper2 lista brez Lanysse, Madrak 2 brez Axerja, ipd...). Kot sem omenil zgoraj, te so bile 'first drafts' of net lists and keep in mind the WTC format encourages players to build more skewed lists than for a normal solo event. In my opinion the WTC lists should be viewed just as a concept/starting point and then you should tune them to better fit your playstyle and (in a pair) to cover a wider range of opponents (since in solo tournaments you don't have a team match-up process to intentionally dodge your bad match-ups).
Kaj pa teren? V tej ediciji bi moralo biti več kosov terena, jaz sem večinoma videl po 6 kosov. A je to zato, ker pač za turnir velikosti WTC ni bilo mogoče dobiti toliko terena ali pač stare navade?
Actually on most of our tables there were 7-8 varied pieces of terrain. They were Warmachine terrain (so significantly smaller than GW forests and such; most terrain pieces were 3-5'' wide at the most, and usually not that thick). Due to everyone putting down their army trays on the edge of the tables, the terrain often got pushed toward the middle of the table making it fairly cluttered (Stan was glad our team got to pick tables most rounds, since there were often 3-ish not-gunline-friendly tables, where he absolutely did not want to be put on, due to walls/forests/trenches in zones and such), so I would say that with the new SR you should always try to fit some sort of Pathfinder-on-demand in your lists (Saxon Orric, Piper of Ord, innate pathfinder units/jacks/beasts, caster spells, ecc...). That said, it all depends on the TO of each event we'll go to.

One thing I remembered now: In 4 or even 5 of the Rounds we put up our player first (so we got to pick all the tables - most often it was because we lost the roll off, but once or twice we actually won the roll and chose that position). As I mentioned there was a lot of assorted terrain in the middle of all the tables, so the ability as a team to pick tables was always relevant. This relevance is mainly linked to 2 factors that I noticed:
- Do you have any Gunlines that would suffer due to forests/walls/trenches near or inside objective zones?
- Do you have any armies that manipulate or gain buffs from terrain (most common would be Trolls and Circle, due to models like Earthborns and Forest generation from casters/units like Wurmwood, Baldur1/2 and Sentry stones).
If the majority of the team falls under one of the above mentioned cases, you should consider the value of choosing only 2 match-ups but pick all tables. If you opt for this 'team strategy' you have to be confident in the individual skills of your players and they need at least 1 balanced list each to have a 50-50-ish chance even when the enemy team chooses their match-up. This year I decided early on that this would be our main team strategy, since we planned from the beginning to throw JS under the bus every round to try and fish out match-ups the others didn't want to deal with.

S'tan

Post by S'tan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:14 am

Mislim da smo izbirali mize v....4 ali 5 rundah? In ja, absolutno vsako rundo sem se setal okoli 5 miz in vedno bolj zalostno gledal teren. Trenchi in zidovi na sredini, po moznosti na obeh straneh mize. Povprecno 3 mize so bile za moji vojski (in game plan, aka caster kill asap) prakticno unplayable, 1 'ajde ce ze moram' in 1 ok-ish.

Ce bi to vedel prej bi 100% vzel eno melee jack heavy armour cracking listo.