WTC 2017 probably in Belgium

Steam-punk fantasy 'skirmish' igra z 28 mm modeli in večjimi roboti / zvermi namesto tankov :)

Moderators: Krokz, Baffo

Baffo

WTC 2017 probably in Belgium

Post by Baffo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:54 pm

Today I got another mail from the WTC committee in regards to our opinion on the probable host country for the next WTC:

Apparently only 1 country bid for next WTC: Belgium (the same people that organized the first Warmachine/Hordes WTC 4 years ago)

Now the questions by the WTC committee are as follows:
We need to hear back from your players on two points:

1. Are there any major concerns about the 2017 bid?

2. This is the 2nd year in a row where only one nation has put forward bids for the following year's event. The Committee is concerned about the long term prospects for the events and so are looking at structuring the host system in a different way. We want your players' feedback on two possible options:

A. Should the event become smaller so that it is easier to find nations willing to host the event? This would mean only 32 teams and a 32 man Solo Masters.

B. Would it be acceptable to your players to have the event in the same location over a period of 3 years? The idea is that by letting one logistics team be able to plan for a 3 year deal, they would be able to recover their costs more readily and secure better deals with hotels, etc.

C. Other ideas to attract bids are welcome.

Please have your responses back to us by August 3rd (Wednesday in 2 weeks). Thank you.
Now, attached to the mail was a short bullet point presentation of the probably location and related costs:

Koning Albert I laan 59
8370 Blankenberge
Belgium

This hotel/resort is on the northern edge/coast of Belgium, so it is roughly the same driving distance as Amsterdam for us (if we road trip it), but it is a bit less accessible by airplane (since the closest international airports seem to be Brussels and Lille (in France).

The expected price per team is 1050 Eu (so 210 Eu per player) and includes 6x meals (Dinner on the Friday, 3 meals on Saturday and 2 meals on Sunday) and coverst the stay for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday night). Supposedly sleeping over there on Sunday can be arranged for roughly 65 Eu per person.

That said the organizing team there claims the location could accommodate up to 600 players, if there was enough interest to expand in successive years.

What do you guys think?

Personally I'd prefer if the WTC stayed at 64 teams, so that there is a wider pool of teams, while I don't have any major problem with the idea of having the WTC in the same location for the next 2-3 years in a row if it allows for the event organizers to get better deals with hotels and keep it properly large. The projected event price in Belgium is just slightly higher than this year's (20 Eu more per person) but the road trip should take more or less the same as this year's, so I am fine with it.

What do you guys think about it? (this is directed to anybody that has any interest to maybe try and participate in WTCs in future years, not just this year's team members)

J_S

Re: WTC 2017 probably in Belgium

Post by J_S » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:19 pm

I'll opt out since these 6 WTC games are likely to be my last for Warmachine :P

But I think holding it in Slovakia from now till forever is the best idea.

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:16 am

Belgium sounds good, and the place is right next to Brugge, which is a great medieval little town (copious amouts of designer stores notwithstanding). From what I gather, the first WTC was well organized and so I don't mind if they make three more. Certain other org teams... not so much. I wouldn't want the 2014 Polish team doing three in a row, not to mention those people who organized the WFB WTC in Czech Rep. a while back.

As for the number of players, we should stay at 64 teams. A huge part of the charm of such events is the sheer number of fellow nerds gathered in one place. Let's try to keep it that way.

The optimal way to organize WTC would be to get official PP support imo. After all, it is the biggest WM/H tournament in Europe, the creators of the game should step up and support it more. Failing that, we could see what can be done to incentivize the orgs (financially or otherwise).

Edit: JS, why Slovakia?

J_S

Post by J_S » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:05 pm

Why not Slovakia?

Agree on PP dropping the ball with this though. Guild Ball has regional qualifiers where they pay the winners' flight and accomodation to the UK for the grand final. And the game is just over 2 years old.

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:55 am

Which makes me wonder whether those qualifiers will still be around when the game is 10 yrs old.
Played a game with engineers yesterday btw. Lost 6-12 to Blackheart & co. Just couldn't leverage ball possession to score. I miss Mist.

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:55 am

Which makes me wonder whether those qualifiers will still be around when the game is 10 yrs old.
Played a game with engineers yesterday btw. Lost 6-12 to Blackheart & co. Just couldn't leverage ball possession to score. I miss Mist.

J_S

Post by J_S » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:19 am

Maybe, maybe not. The fact that they are doing it now is pretty cool.

Engineers are one of the tougher teams to pick up, especially with Ballista. It's easy to pigeonhole yourself into going all in ranged and then getting moped up after turn 4 hits.