Circle dojo

Steam-punk fantasy 'skirmish' igra z 28 mm modeli in večjimi roboti / zvermi namesto tankov :)

Moderators: Krokz, Baffo

maxvonlaibach

Circle dojo

Post by maxvonlaibach » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:17 pm

So... about time I started one of these. So far I've only read the Circle and minion cards, therefore the following is sure to change.

List #1, Goats & Wizards

BigMac
- Stalker
- Riphorn
- Riphorn
- Gnarlhorn
- Gorax (rager)

Blackclad mist riders
Shifting stones
- stone keeper
Shifting stones

Ravager shaman
Blackclad wayfarer

Sprint is now a "self" animus, which is sad times. However, it's still important for Big Mac to have access to it, hence it stays. Since regular druid clouds no longer linger once the druids die, it's only reasonable to take mist riders, since they have greater offensive capability, as well as a decent range (up to 19" + leaps). Their lightning no longer KDs, but I'll live with that, hopefully they can thin out the herd to enable the riphorns to bulldoze their way into the juicy parts of the enemy force. The Gnarlhorn is here because I own the old metal model and absolutely love it. The shaman gives noKD to Kromac.

I'm missing out on a couple of things here, a second stone UA being one of them, Ghetorix another. However, Ghetorix could only conceiveably enter the list in lieu of the stalker, and I think sprint is more important than spiny growth. I don't have a wilder either, hopefully riphorn's fury efficiency will help here. If not, I'll try dropping the mist riders back to druids and adding a couple of solos.

Baffo, if this list tests well, could I borrow your riphorn? I don't fancy buying two of any model.

2nd list will be announced shortly.

Baffo

Re: Circle dojo

Post by Baffo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Sure, no problem, I'll get it painted parallel to Weef's Bomber/Rok.
For that matter I can lend you also the Stalker and the Gorax Rager, so they'll match together...
Since we're at it, I can probably lend you also the converted shifting stones and if you want I can send you some Urban resin base inserts to match, for the mist riders and Kromak (I assume at least the cav aren't released/painted yet).

J_S

Post by J_S » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:08 am

Grievous Wounds is super legit since it stops repair and Imperatus and other BS like that. Kromac2 seems top notch I think.
Spiny Growth might actually not be too bad since it makes Kromac 14/20. However Ghetorix seems like a bit of a bitch without Unyielding. Glass cannon, shall we say. For 21 pts, ouch.

What's the general plan for the list, other than running at them with Kromac and Fury 3 heavies?

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:14 am

What do you mean "other than"? :P
The idea is to maximize the use of movement tricks (I've got hyper aggressive on everyone, sprint, bulldoze & counterslam) to push that SPD 5 to the limit and keep the opponents guessing, while utilizing power attacks (inc. free ones from chain attacks) to disrupt everything. The warpwolf will kill stuff, and the goats hopefully won't die too quickly.

I might turn the riders back into druids + Scarsfell after all. Those clouds seem important in Mk.III.

Baffo, thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it, since my Gorax & Stalker are painted terribly. The resin inserts you gave me last time were just glued to my Guild Ball team yesterday.

J_S

Post by J_S » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:37 pm

How has your past experience been with Gnarlhorns? Counterslam has always seemed like a really powerful ability but the 'directly towards' aspect makes it almost unusable. That hasn't changed in Mk3years, I take it?

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:17 pm

In Mk. II, my Gnarlhorn just never made his points back, mostly due to being P+S 14/15. He had one brilliant game of slamming Sturgiss around for 2 turns before finally putting him in the dirt, but that's about the only success I've had with him. Counterslam is very situational, particularly in Mk.III, where everyone can just measure the 6". Still, I love the model, and I'm not about to buy two rip horns.

The 2nd list (which could hopefully take on J_S's Crusader spam) could possibly be a Tanith one (or possibly pBaldur):

Tanith, the angry ponytail (-31)
- Pureblood (17)
- Pureblood (17)
- Gorax (7)
- Argus (7)

min. wolf riders (11)
min. wolf riders (11)
min. wolves of Oroboros (7)
- UA (4)
Shifting stones (3)

LotF (6)
Reeve hunter (4)
Reeve hunter (4)
war wolf (2)
war wolf (2)
war wolf (2)
Grove (2)

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:20 pm

New idea time, this one will probably be tested at Polish Open next month:

pBaldur (31)
- Woldwrath (37)
- Woldwatcher (9)

Full Bloodtrackers (16)
- Nuala (4)
Full Skinwalkers (15)
- Alpha (4)
Shifting stones (3)

Una the Falconeer (4)
- Scarsfell (8)
Lord of the Feast (6)

The Una + Scarsfell and LotF are there to clear jams and provide some long range threat, Woldwrath and/or skinwalkers are there to be difficult to kill as well as getting some work done (P+S 16 on skinwalkers with stone skin is pretty good). The girls are mostly just jam, with potential P+S 11 weapon master throws for good measure.
One thing I'm missing is a geomancer for hot swapping SS, hence another iteration is possible with some ravagers + Megs instead of the woldwrath, so is finding the points to upgrade the woldwatcher to Megalith/warden.

J_S

Post by J_S » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:28 pm

I see Baldur and Woldwrath, I approve. I am a simple man.

Side note for future dojo - I feel forest creation/pathfinder will be really strong this edition. That could be a decent skew.

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:31 am

I went 1-2 this weekend with a pBaldur+Wurmwood pair. The lists:

Wurmwood + Cassie
2x pureblood
2x Argus
Feral

full Nyss
Stones + UA
Gobbers
Alten, Lanyssa, stones

Baldur
Ghetorix
Feral
Argus

Full ravagers + UA
Full skinwalkers + UA
stones

Una + Rotterhorn
LotF

1st game against eCaine (stormwall, hunter, scouts and storm lances + solos)

I misplaced Una which cost me the whole module + feral + Argus on Caine's feat turn (trick shot's a birch). That forced me to use skinwalkers and vengeance from Tharn to clear the chaff... not good. I still had a shot at a domination victory, but failed to kill one bloody storm lance with LotF and a Tharn charge, and the game ended with my last stone being about 0,25" out of contesting range. 4-6 loss on CP.

2nd game vs. eAbby (Carni, 2x Angel, Raek, Seraph, Naga, some solos)

I took Cassius and kicked things off to what I thought was a good start when all my Nyss, both purebloods and Alten drew a bead on the seraph. Sadly, I had two misses and two damage rolls of a 3 in the whole bunch, leaving him healable and on 2/3rds of HP. This threw me off my game and I forgot to move the tree away from Abby, who was his largest threat. Huge mistake. CK loss.

3rd game vs. Durst (2x reckoner, vanquisher, Feora's jack, devout, Kell, chaff)

For the first two turns of the game, nothing happened (other than a heavy flamer proccing vengeance on Tharn without killing one - WIN!) as we traded feats. Whe push came to shove I had all my heavy hitters within 7" of his warjacks, and he can't run away. Three of his heavies go down in one turn while the fourth one has his arms ripped off, and even though Durst charges in and does millions of damage to my skinwalkers, griffon and feral, the deal is sealed. I'm threatening to dominate my way to a win, and he charges Gheto with the caster to try and block himself off with clouds from my retaliation. Brave, but foolish. Gheto lives and eats Durst.

Learning points & conclusions: perhaps when I'm not at work.

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:27 am

Got in a game with Big Mac vs. Karchev yesterday. Good time to be Tharn!
My list was put together on the spot, and included three wolves (stalker, feral, gheto), two griffons, an argus, 2x sentry stones, Lanyssa and gobbers. His was Karchev with three clamjacks, full cav, a bunch of shooty solos, widowmakers, 2x eliminators, mortar. The scenario was a simple zone in the middle of the board, with two objectives.

My stealth and forests mitigated his ranged advantage most of the game. My mannies threatened anything within 13" of them with boosted RAT 6, which was also great vs. infantry. On my turn two I positioned so as to threaten anything that went in to dominate the zone with my three heavies. The plan worked, he got 2 points for control and objective, but left all the cav and two of the heavies within retaliation range. Kromac feats and kills the cav, my wolves go in, and kill one clamjack while crippling another, pretty much everything I have is in the zone. His response leaves feral in tiny pieces, but my other two warpwolves still very much alive and biting.
Now, I should have frenzied with Ghetorix (primal) to kill the crippled clamjack, then disposed of the other one with the stalker, who had not been primaled. This would've left me in control of the zone, and my opponent with nothing but karchev to face my 4 beasts and Big Mac. Instead, I killed the warjacks with Kromac and stalker, slammed Karchev with my scarsfell, then walked up Gheto to put him in the dirt. I only remembered about primal yesterday evening, but I doubt the outcome would've been different.