Team Dojo

Steam-punk fantasy 'skirmish' igra z 28 mm modeli in večjimi roboti / zvermi namesto tankov :)

Moderators: Krokz, Baffo

S'tan

Team Dojo

Post by S'tan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:52 am

I don't know why this hasn't come up yet but given the format, we must discuss it. How are we building the team? How do we venture into unknown where no one knows what's going to be played? How do we handle team composition..

J_S

Re: Team Dojo

Post by J_S » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:50 am

As it stands at the moment, from what I can see:

JS: PoM - 90%
Baffo: Khador - 99%
Stan: Cygnar (ie. eCaine) or CoC
Max: Circle or PoM (ironically the two worst factions at according to the NZ meta)
Weef: Trolls (very likely) or Ret

Does that seem right?

Baffo is probably better to weigh in the grand master plan as he seems to be more in touch with the game than most of us.

In terms of overall meta, this will be only a couple of months after Mk3 has been released so nothing will be fixed as of yet - a few power casters per factions will probably have been identified in the new meta but relative to Mk2 there will be a lot more list variation, at least for a year. Theme lists might also affect things greatly.

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:40 pm

While I listen to every WMH podcast I know of, lately it has all been about re-hashing the insiders and a few highlights from the leaked decks; most gaming groups just started trying out stuff, like us...
Considering WTC is a format that somewhat support extreme skewing with at least 1 list, I would expect many players/teams going all in with 6-8 heavies lists (jack/beast spams) and 30-40 Infantry models spams (Cryx, Cephalix).
I expect theme lists might also be a major factor, depending on what bonuses they provide exactly (yes, if it is all just crappy bonuses like +2 Threshold on beasts, that is worthless, but if they give out special abilities to specific unit types, like some sort of elite cadre, they might become even more prevalent than in mk2).

As a team, we probably lean more towards the heavy jack/beast spams for our skews and a more balanced combined arms list with 3-ish heavies and 1-2 units... It is all in the air presently:P

S'tan

Post by S'tan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:36 pm

I meant more in terms of...who gets put up first, do we skew someone like a carry with assassination lists and some that have lists designed to throw them under the bus.

J_S

Post by J_S » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:00 pm

You mean someone make a real problem list or two to go first (like the 2014 USA Team that had dual Cryx and always put up the Skarre 30 Banes / McSwarm up first) in order to bait out the counter, and then put up another similar problematic list later on against something that isn't a counter?

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:36 pm

...Right... Team strategy... Kinda hard to define since we don't know even what faction everyone is going to play for sure...

Ok, ok, let us assume:
- Baffo = Khador
- Stan = Cygnar
- Weef = Trolls
- JS = PoM
- Max = Circle?

In that set-up the most explicitly scary lists that I can think of at the moment are Cygnar ranged assassination skews (Caine2 and Kara) and PoM Assassination lists (pKreoss and Reznik). Since we can't really predict the 'meta' what if we all bring 1 super skewed assassination list to go totally YOLO if we end up in a bad match-up and a second more balanced/comfortable combined arms list?
The problem I have at the moment is figuring out what exactly we're trying to bait out of the opposing team...
If we were to ignore our team make up, I would skew the team to bring as much Backlash/Feedback sources as possible (Cryx, Ret and CoC) and stack feedback assassinations across the lineup (I would expect somebody like the US teams to maybe go for something like that).
Skewing all into heavy armor and wounds isn't that much of a skew anymore (I expect 80% of players to have at least 1 list with 5-ish heavies in their pair), while skewing into infantry swarms seems less impressive unless you have some massive recursion or trick like all stealth with a Solid ground caster for example.
I haven't absorbed/processed all the information about the factions (I went trough all the decks a couple times, but I haven't tried making lists for any other than Khador to see how they come out in Mk3, so I don't really have a good frame of reference.
To get things rolling and start 'digesting' all the new info everyone should try to make up some 'super skews' within their faction of choice, just so we can try and get more of an idea of what Mk3 lists might look like (I'll put up a couple lists I've been theorymachineing today on my Khador dojo thread, maybe do the same).