First Experiences playing Mk3

Steam-punk fantasy 'skirmish' igra z 28 mm modeli in večjimi roboti / zvermi namesto tankov :)

Moderators: Krokz, Baffo

Weefsat

Re: First Experiences playing Mk3

Post by Weefsat » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:11 pm

It was actually a really intense game and I can say that throwing an arm 26 devastator out of a zone was what allowed me to get enough control points to ultimately win the game. I was surprised when Baffo told me that I don't get 2 dice on the strength check when making a throw anymore, since that could easily have cost me the game (I still won that strength check with the mauler animus but I had to use more fury than I initially expected which caused some issues). I was also sursprised that you no longer get a bonus die to collateral damage anymore when slamming a thing into something. It came into play twice but I suppose it wouldn't have change the outcome of the game. So overall power attacks are apparently nerfed which shocks me since they were not strong before, but even with that they are more viable than they were before which should make JS happy.

J_S

Post by J_S » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:53 am

Nothing makes me happy when it comes to power attacks! Nostalgia for ever.

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:05 am

Weefsat wrote:It was actually a really intense game and I can say that throwing an arm 26 devastator out of a zone was what allowed me to get enough control points to ultimately win the game. I was surprised when Baffo told me that I don't get 2 dice on the strength check when making a throw anymore, since that could easily have cost me the game (I still won that strength check with the mauler animus but I had to use more fury than I initially expected which caused some issues). I was also sursprised that you no longer get a bonus die to collateral damage anymore when slamming a thing into something. It came into play twice but I suppose it wouldn't have change the outcome of the game. So overall power attacks are apparently nerfed which shocks me since they were not strong before, but even with that they are more viable than they were before which should make JS happy.
Do you mean 1 or 2 handed throws? The latter work as they used to according to war room (which now contains .pdfs of pages from the rulebook. I guess that's where most of the extra weight of the app came from). As for collateral dmg, the model thrown or slammed still suffers an extra d6 when it hits something, it's just the other models that don't, but that rule was there before, right?
Also, it seems that when you slam a model, other models with a smaller base that are in the way get KD'd and suffer collateral damage, but the model itself keeps moving until it contacts either an obstruction, or someone with an equal/larger base size.
Also also, I couldn't find the rule that states that you can't throw a model over your own base anywhere, but that might have just been due to the limited space of war room rules.

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:48 am

At the time we were playing that game we didn't have the full core rule yet, we were using the leaked cards and assorted rumored/spoiled Mk3 rules.
I heard from a couple podcasts that 2 handed throws were gone (whereas they were combined into just Throws with a bonus for having 2 open fists). The various throw options now actually give you quite a few tactical choices (throw it at a target in range and risk missing and it scattering off, throw it directly away from you or throw it at a target out of range on purpose, relying on the fact it will just travel to max range and not scatter (which with pre-measuring could conveniently land exatly on the enemy caster)...

J_S

Post by J_S » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:33 am

The 2-handed throw vs 1 handed throw reference was basically irrelevant. I think in Mk2 you could 2-handed throw at a target but could not 1 handed throw. Now it's all the same except 2 handed throws give you 2 dice to your STR check. Good change.

On throws, I don't understand why you can't throw to a spot anymore. You either have to throw directly away OR throw towards a target. I have won many games by throwing things towards board edges, outside control areas or whatever. You can't do that anymore with the same freedom. This makes little sense to me.

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:08 pm

Ok, Played a Gunline-off between my Vlad1 list and Weef's Gunbjorn and if anybody had any doubts, YES Gunny's feat is a total kick in the balls for a gunline army.
What we learned is the We can't drop Stan with his Cygnar into any trolls that have Gunbjorn in their pair; JS might end up having to bait it out with his 'scary' pKreoss gunline to open up our other ranged drops...
Also our Troll should have a good counter to some of the Ranged boogymen (Legion, Cygnar and Ret).

I guess part of our 'team strategy' will be jamming Weef's Trolls and JS' Menoth down any Ranged heavy faction that is on the table and make them pick their poison:)

J_S

Post by J_S » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Yes! I am useful!

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:28 am

Ok, today I got in 2 more games Vs Tilen's Retribution, and if the opponent isn't simply immune to ranged attacks like Gunbjorn's feat turn, the combined firepower of Behe, Conquest, Riflecorps and Rocketeers can reliably scrap 1 Ret heavy per turn (even if it has stealth), which is promising (in the first game Holt and the 3 rocketeers managed to wreck a Harmed Manticore all by themselves).

Anyway, as expected the Vlad1 Gunline is pretty good Vs balanced combined arms lists with 2-3 heavies and 1-2 units of infantry; so far so good:D

maxvonlaibach

Post by maxvonlaibach » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:41 am

What kind of DEF can you reliably hit with your gunline? I'd imagine the RET stuff was sitting around 14?

Baffo

Post by Baffo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:20 pm

I was reliably hitting Def 17 (Stormfall archers in trenches); Keep in mind I rely on Rat 5 + 4D6 (dropping lowest) with option to CRA when needed, which sums up to a statistical average Hit roll of 17.3 for single shots... That ought to hit most stuff.
Another detail to keep in mind is that Conquest's secondary guns have High explosives, so I can scatter them around and get pow 10 blast damage rolls under S&P, which is almost the same as directly hitting with rifles, while Behemoth almost always has pow 7 + 3D6 blast damage rolls... Basically the main issue for my army are blast immune models (Force barrier and Girded).